Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's in my heart and Soul

I'm a country girl...always have been..always will be. I just can't help it, I actually daydream about my awesome country life. Living on a farm with my partner Bryce and our daughter Montana, growing crops so we all can enjoy weet-bix in the mornings and bread sangas at lunch. It's funny, I really can only write my poetry when I'm away from my Country haven...those days when I've had to go the the city for something or another is when I miss my home, I miss the smell of clean air and sunshine..of Wilga and Belah and of our dirt road..yes I actually miss that. So here is something I've written on one of those trips away from home...Hope you like reading it as much as I liked writing it...

My Selection
-I was raised on no selection
the farm sold before my time
though it didn't cease to brand my direction
in this hard working land of mine

I've chased cattle through the Brigalow
been shredded by Lime Bush trees
had mickys right behind me
and my horse drop to its knees

I've watched sunsets over oceans
and fished the great Pacific
but nothing ever compares to
our land and its terrific
sands that change colour
with the direction of a wind
and landscapes of plenty
in the West and its beyond

My country never stops to amaze me
when we all bind together
in war and famine
and lack of good weather

My selection was nil
and I never mind
My country's my heritage
a family of tribes
Our land is our home
our farms joined as one
is enough of a selection
for each and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment