Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bula!!!

We have recently arrived home from our family trip to Fiji, and what an exhilarating experience it was. From staying in the 5 Star Outrigger Resort to learning that all wait staff at that 5 Star Resort are paid between $3.50-$4.50 per hour!


One...just one Cocktail will pay for one of the waiters full shift....so what did we do? We tipped like we've never tipped before...we visited their villages and bought all our gifts directly through the people living there, we learnt they have only an hour of running water a day-so they all walk down to the village tap with their buckets and basins and wait in line patiently for their turn to gather as much water as they can.

I was in awe at how well mannered and happy the Fijians are, considering the 3 world they are living in. Each time we saw a Fijian they would yell "Bula!!!" with the biggest smiles I have ever seen, they never once complained, it was almost like they were brainwashed into being happy 24/7.

I will say that I was extremely happy that our 10 year old daughter got to experience all of this, she saw the silver service she received by these gorgeous people with the huge smiles and then she saw the squalor they lived in. We didn't need to discuss any of this to her as she realised just how easy our kids in Australia have it and if she gets her big britches on and decided to complain or whinge, I'll simply remind her of the Fijians and how happy they were just to be alive-no matter what the situation was.


Now on a nicer note, Fiji was bloody great! The Island itself is yuck, however the Outrigger was awesome. I will totally recommend it to families, as that's what the Fijians do-make mum and Dad happy by keeping the kids occupied with lots of learning and fun!


You can't help but fall in love with the locals and the romance of the resort, that is why I suppose my partner and best friend Bryce proposed to me there....I won't say it was a beach proposal, or a romantic candlelit one....it was a Bryce proposal-one of a kind and that's why I love him!


Do me a favour and visit the Resorts website, you'll be quite surprised at how affordable it is. Montana cried when we left after not getting to say goodbye to her Meimei (Fijian for Nanny) for the 3rd time...she will hold a place in her heart for that place as we all will!

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/fiji/outrigger-on-the-lagoon-fiji


So click on the link above-you won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing experience. I hope that we can go one day too. Congratulations again on your engagement. I am so SO happy for you guys. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That sounds wonderful! And I'm amazed and a little in awe of you for taking the time to find out where the money goes. I'll remember that next time we visit another country.

    ReplyDelete